The RCA’s Book of Church Order requires a minister’s employer (whether a church or another organization, in the case of a specialized minister) to provide these benefits to the minister. When a church extends a call to a pastor, the church promises to provide all three kinds of insurance, in addition to contributions to the RCA 403(b) Retirement Program.

RCA Ordained Ministers of Word and Sacrament actively serving at least 17.5 hours per week are provided with employer-paid group life and long-term disability insurance benefits through the Board of Benefits Services (BOBS). The provision of insurance benefits is optional for commissioned pastors. Ministers who work at least 20 hours per week may enroll in medical and life insurance through the Reformed Benefits Association (RBA).

Long-term disability insurance

Long-term disability (LTD) insurance covers up to two-thirds of your income if you become injured or sick and cannot work for an extended period of time. You may use it toward any expenses you have such as mortgage, utilities, student loans, or credit card debt.

View the LTD insurance plan highlights
View the LTD policy

Group life insurance

Life insurance offers you peace of mind, so you know your loved ones are financially protected against a sudden loss of income when you pass away. At a minimum, pastors receive group life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, paid by the employer. (Note that employer-paid life insurance coverage over $50,000 is a taxable benefit to you, the employee.) 

View the group life and AD&D insurance plan highlights
View the group life insurance policy
Voluntary life insurance

Designate your beneficiaries
If you’re enrolled in group life and AD&D insurance, you should designate your beneficiaries. Complete a
Beneficiary Designation Form and return it to BOBS.

Download the Beneficiary Designation Form

What happens to my LTD and life insurance if I am no longer working? 

If you are no longer working, you cannot remain insured through BOBS. Your long-term disability (LTD) insurance will terminate upon your retirement date or last day worked. You may continue your life insurance directly with Lincoln by converting your insurance (changing your group term life to an individual whole life policy) or porting it (changing from the Board of Benefits Services’ group term life to Lincoln’s group term life). This must be done within 31 days of your retirement date or last day worked.

One thing to keep in mind when continuing your insurance is that your rates will increase. If you are converting your insurance, your new premium will be based upon the amount of your insurance policy and Lincoln’s rate for your age. rate for your age. If you are porting your insurance, your new premium will be based upon the amount of your insurance policy and Lincoln’s group rate.

Learn more about porting or converting your coverage.

For more information, contact Cineca Anthony.

* BOBS no longer administers long-term care (LTC)  insurance. If you have a question about your LTC policy, contact Unum directly at 866-679-3054.

Are you an employer?

Learn about the required insurance benefits and exceptions

Visit the employers section

Medical insurance

Group medical insurance is available through the Reformed Benefits Association (RBA). The RBA is a nonprofit corporation established by the Reformed Church in America and the Christian Reformed Church in North America. The RBA offers a variety of group medical insurance plans as well as group life insurance, vision, dental, and additional supplementary plans. 

Visit the RBA website

The Book of Church Order requires employers to provide insurance coverage that meets or exceeds the minimum standards set by BOBS. If a minister’s spouse carries the insurance, the church should cover the premium costs up to the premium costs of the RCA plan meeting the minimum standards.

Minimum Standards for Medical Insurance 2021

Have a question?

We are here to help!

Contact Cineca

Cineca Anthony

Life and LTD Administrator

Board of Benefits Services
475 Riverside Drive, Suite 1606
New York, NY 10115