How does your church and faith community fit into the big picture of the RCA? As the denomination moves forward into new horizons of mission and ministry, we want to hear what's going on in your life and the life of your church. We've embarked on a discovery process to get a clear direction of where the church is going, and your voice is key as we find out how God is working in us, through us, and ahead of us.
The Conversations event (held February 10-12, 2012, in Florida) was designed to put a finger on the pulse of the RCA and allow us to share stories, learn from one another, and discern the future direction of the RCA.
But the Conversations aren't stopping! Visit the Conversations Facebook page for more information on regional gatherings and to continue the conversation with people across the United States and Canada about the future of the RCA.
A team prepared a 40-day preparation guide for the Conversations event called Drawing Near. It's an excellent Lent devotional or can be used as a 40-day devotional guide.
Below is an overview of the event. Also available are 9 videos of Conversations participants talking about their experiences at the event.
Updates from Conversations event
What happens after Conversations?
- The message and/or communication that is developed at Conversations is sent throughout the RCA
- All assemblies--consistories, classes, and regional synods--are invited to respond
- The communication and responses go to the 2012 General Synod for official action around the question, "Based on God's work within us and through us in our past and present and God's work ahead of preparing the future, 'What is God's continuing call on the RCA for the next decade?'"
- The action of the 2012 General Synod is assigned to the GSC to come back to the 2013 General Synod with a response to the question: "Based on God's call, what adjustments is God asking the RCA to make?"
- 2013 General Synod establishes the next call