Fall 2012: This issue features stories about ways churches and individuals in the RCA and CRC have been changed by people with disabilities; it also celebrates the 30th anniversary of CRC Disability Concerns.
Winter: What impact does a spouse's disability have on a marriage and the connections to church and family? Please submit articles (not to exceed 400 words) by October 15, 2012.
In this issue of Breaking Barriers:
- An Engaging Vision for Families and Church looks at a unique ministry of Rev. Bob and Alice DeVries that came to fruition in 2004: a worship service designed for children with disabilities.
by Chris Lanham, pastor of Cascades Fellowship CRC, Jackson, Michigan
- More Than Caring reviews the approach that a 22-year-old who lives with Asperger's syndrome followed to make her profession of faith.
by a CRC mother in Canada
- A Glowing Face of Rhythm, Autism, and Faith describes how a nonverbal child with autism has changed a church in just a few years.
by Gisela Borowsky, Colonial Church (RCA) of Bayside, New York
- Music Ministry without Barriers looks at how a congregation has welcomed and encouraged someone with a visual impairment, seeing her as a worship leader and not as a disabled musician.
by Cassandra Lokker, First Reformed Church, Baldwin, Wisconsin
- God Not Always in Obvious Places explores the way God has been at work through and within the life of a sign-language interpreter.
by Suzie Giroux, Trinity CRC, Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Starting a Disability Ministry at Elmhurst shows how a verse, mission statement, and name take their inspiration from Isaiah 35:3-6: LEAP—"Living Expectantly, Always Praying!"
by Beth Rinsema, director of care, Elmhurst CRC, Elmhurst, Illinois
- New Church a Journey with Extraordinary People reviews what a church community looks like, acts like, and ministers like when the vast majority of its members are adults come from 35 group homes.
by Mark Mast, copastor of Odyssey (RCA), Poughkeepsie, New York
- Giving Thanks marks some of the blessings related to the 30th anniversary of CRC Disability Concerns.
by Mark Stephenson, CRC Director of Disability Concerns
Articles for Breaking Barriers Fall 2012 in Large Print PDF and Large Print RTF
Articles for Breaking Barriers Fall 2012 in Printer Friendly Format (PDF)