As church treasurers and administrators, you support churches in mission and ministry for Christ. Here are information and resources to help you with that. If there is a resource you need or a question you have, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you browse through the resources in this section of the RCA website (or through other resources the links to which are provided in this section), and before you read, download and/or use any of them, please keep the following in mind.
These resources come from various sources and are provided for various purposes. Some were prepared by individuals for the express purpose of having them posted here for you to use. Others were prepared by individuals when dealing with a particular situation, and only later did that person (or someone else) think that it might be useful to share his or her work product with you.
In some instances, the resource attempts to summarize what the RCA’s Book of Church Order (BCO) says on a particular subject. Sometimes the BCO provisions are mandatory. In other instances, they establish certain limitations but do not mandate specific actions, and as a result, you may freely roam within those limitations. Regardless, while the authors have made reasonable efforts to make his or her document consistent with the BCO, we can’t guarantee it. We therefore remind you that these resources do not amend, modify, or supersede any provision of the BCO, and we encourage you to always read the applicable provisions of the BCO and make sure you comply with them.
In other instances, the resource covers a topic that simply is not addressed in the BCO. Here the author usually identifies the topic and summarizes an approach or procedure that worked for him or her. The actions described are not required (and in many instances are not even suggested) by the BCO. Here again, we remind you that while the authors have made reasonable efforts to avoid inconsistencies with the BCO, we can’t guarantee it. We therefore encourage you to read the resources carefully, consider whether the suggested approaches or procedures are appropriate for your particular situation, and remember that any inconsistencies between the suggested approaches or procedures and the BCO are not intended, and in such situations, the BCO controls.
Finally, a word about resources that cover legal or financial matters (e.g., information about taxes, incorporation, accounting, etc.). In some instances, the author is an attorney; in other instances, the author is not. Regardless, the author does not intend to provide legal, financial, or other professional advice or services to you or anyone else, and you should not rely on the resource as such. Additionally, by using any portion of this website, you are not creating a confidential relationship (attorney-client or otherwise) of any sort with anyone. If you communicate with anyone through any portion of this website, such communications are not necessarily privileged or confidential. If you need assistance with a legal, financial, or similar matter, retain a qualified attorney, accountant, or similar professional who is licensed to practice in the relevant state or province. Neither the General Synod of the Reformed Church in America, the General Synod Council of the Reformed Church in America, nor any other agency, assembly, or institution of the Reformed Church in America, nor any individual who contributes any resources or materials to this website, is responsible for any loss, injury, liability, or damage that may result from your use of this site or any of the resources provided on it, whether from errors or omissions in the content of this site or any linked sites, from the site being inaccessible at any time, or from any other cause.
Gifts and payments
In the U.S., make checks payable to “Reformed Church in America,” and indicate the purpose of the payment. Then mail to
Reformed Church in America
Attn: Finance Dept.
4500 60th St SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
In Canada, make cheques payable to “Regional Synod of Canada,” and indicate the purpose of the payment. Then mail to
Regional Synod of Canada
PO Box 5070 Stn LCD1
Burlington, ON L7R 3Y8.
Many donations can also be made online. Please visit www.rca.org/give for more information.
- Assessments and covenant shares: The 2021 assessment has been set at $52.01 per member. Learn more about the breakdown of the assessments and what covenant shares are.
- The 2021 Partnership-in-Mission (PIM) share has been set at $6,800
- The RCA Church Growth Fund (CGF) sells savings certificates, offers churches affordable loans, and contributes to RCA ministry grants. Learn more about CGF loans and investing options for churches.
- For more information on assessments and covenant shares and other financial services and reports, visit financial services.
- Being a good steward of the church’s finance is no doubt part of your job. For tools and resources, visit stewardship.
Tax and other financial information
- ChurchExcel offers free resources on church finance, governance, and gift administration.
- Church Bonds Guidelines
- Clergy Housing Benefits for Commissioned Pastors
- IRS Group Exemption Determination
- IRS requirement for changes of address, location, or responsible party
- News Releases and Fact Sheets on Political Campaign Activities
- Social Security and Other Information for Members of the Clergy and Religious Workers
- IRS Notice 2006-110 explains how a taxpayer who makes charitable contributions by payroll deductions can meet recordkeeping requirements.
- Disaster Relief, Providing Assistance Through Charitable Organizations
The following resources have been submitted by elders, deacons, and treasurers from around the RCA. They are intended to be used as you best see fit (anything from using them as a template to beginning a discussion based on them). Do you have a resource you could share? Please email it to email@example.com.
- Petty cash policy: PDF, RTF, DOC
- Benevolence policy: PDF, RTF, DOC
- Financial and accounting policy: PDF, RTF, DOC
- Congregational financial standards: PDF, RTF, DOC
Board of Benefits Services
For information on retirement benefits, insurance for RCA ministers and lay staff, church reporting, and more, visit the Board of Benefits Services employer resources page.
Looking for more resources for consistency and church leadership? Visit the consistory resources page.