5. Sacrificing for the kingdom
Scripture: Mark 10:17-31, 1 Peter 3:8-22
Mark 10:17-31 is one of those passages many of us would rather ignore. Like the rich man, we would have a hard time giving up all of our possessions for God. But sometimes God does ask us to serve in ways that feel extreme to us, ways that require sacrifice. Putting God above everything else in your life is no small commitment. Are you ready to make it?
- Can you relate to the rich man?
- Would you give up everything you own to follow Jesus?
- Why would Jesus ask the man to do that?
- Could God be asking you to sacrifice something in your own life? What might it be?
- Can suffering actually be a good thing?
- Are you willing to suffer for Christ? Have you? How?
- What are the things you tend to ignore in the Bible? Why?
“You guys are all into that born again thing, which is great. We do need to be born again, since Jesus said that to a guy named Nicodemus. But if you tell me I have to be born again to enter the kingdom of God, I can tell you that you have to sell everything you have and give it to the poor, because Jesus said that to one guy too…But I guess that’s why God invented highlighters, so we can highlight the parts we like and ignore the rest.” —Rich Mullins