Rural Life Sunday
- "Prayers for the Earth," by Betty Voskuil, published in Reformed Worship magazine
Activities to help churches observe Rural Life Sunday:
From the Kansas West Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Invite a speaker such as a farmer or a panel of producers and business owners who work with farmers to help your congregation understand challenges faced by those who produce and process the food we eat.
- Thank God for the food on our tables and celebrate those men and women who work hard to produce and process the food we enjoy.
- Host a special meal using locally grown or processed foods so that your congregation can experience the farm-to-table connection.
- Use Rural Life Sunday to highlight environmental concerns or justice issues related to farming and food production.
- Encourage church members to consider taking part in the "local food" movement. For more information, read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver, which chronicles her family's year-long experience with buying and eating locally prepared food.