Vision 2020 Report Reading and Discussion Guide
A guide for receiving and discussing the Vision 2020 Team report
Grace and peace to you in Jesus. We, as the Vision 2020 Team, recognize that with this report our work is largely over for now and your work is just beginning. We know that everyone has deep and valid feelings about the future of the RCA and about the work we have done—we have those feelings ourselves. We are asking for you to take our work and use it in your own reflection and discernment as you prepare for General Synod 2021. We hope you are able both to make space for personal reflection and to create discussion forums with your congregations, leadership teams, and colleagues.
Would you please consider a few suggestions for interacting with this report?
The Vision 2020 Team
Eddy Alemán, ex officio
Diane Smith Faubion
Don Poest, ex officio
Vision 2020 Team report discussion prompts
- Pray for the Spirit of God to be present to you as you read and reread this report.
- What do you affirm? What did you appreciate, and where did you feel your own interest sparked?
- What resistance do you feel? Where do you feel disappointment, anger, or anxiety?
- What is confusing or missing? What do you wish were different? What else do you want to know?
- How will you respond? How will you “speak the truth in love” in response to this recommendation? What will you say and do? What will you not say and not do?
- What is your prayer for the future? For those who will continue to be part of the RCA? For those who will leave? For the church of Jesus Christ in the world?