This fall, the RCA restructuring team will hold a series of 17 gatherings around the U.S. and Canada, concluding with a denomination-wide virtual meeting with the same content. The goal of these roundtable events is to communicate, engage the denomination, and gather further feedback as the team continues to work toward final recommendations for the RCA’s structure, optimized for continued ministry.
The restructuring team was created by General Synod in October 2021 to propose updated structures for the denomination in order to ensure sustained institutional and spiritual health. The team’s final report and recommendations will be brought before General Synod 2024.
With feedback gathered at a similar set of roundtable meetings in spring 2023 and at General Synod 2023, the team has begun work on a second draft of the proposals, refining and adjusting the initial draft proposals that they shared at General Synod 2023. The team will complete their work on the second draft at an in-person team meeting in September, just prior to the start of the fall series of roundtables. Read a summary of the feedback received so far.
This fall series of roundtable events is intended to invite feedback on the second draft of the proposals. Attendees will have the opportunity to discuss the revised proposals and provide the team with feedback.
For more background, read the team’s interim report and first draft proposals—or an overview of the presentation and process at General Synod 2023.
In January, the team will meet in-person to begin drafting version three of its recommendations based on the feedback—both affirmation and push back—received this fall.
“I pray a lot of people will come to these meetings,” says general secretary Eddy Alemán, a member of the restructuring team. “We learn a lot when we have people pointing to things that we might not be paying attention to.”
These gatherings are open to everyone who is a part of the RCA. Regional invitations will be sent out via email in the month prior to each event, but because the team doesn’t have the contact information for everyone who could possibly attend, the team is asking churches and pastors in the areas of each event to help get the word out to as many people as possible. If you live in the area of an event but don’t receive a direct invitation, please consider this your invitation!
Registration is encouraged for each event to give the site hosts an approximate number of attendees for planning and set-up purposes, and to provide accommodations for people with disabilities. A registration form will be sent out via email with the regional invitation. Registration information will also be added here as it becomes available.
Times are listed in local time for the event site.
- September 30, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Bethel Reformed Church, Brantford, Ontario. Register here.
- October 5, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Our Saviour’s Corner of Hope, Lakewood, Colorado. Register here.
- October 7, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., American Reformed Church, Orange City, Iowa. Register here.
- October 27, 7:00-10:00 p.m., Fellowship Reformed Church, Holland, Michigan. Register here.
- October 28, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., DeWitt Ministry Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Register here.
- November 5, 2:00-5:00 p.m., Hope Community Church, Lincoln, Nebraska
- November 11, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Christ Community Church, Lemont, Illinois
- November 18, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Good Shepherd Reformed Church, Bayside Hills, New York
- November 18, 2:00-5:00 p.m., Massapequa Reformed Church, Massapequa, New York
- November 19, 2:00-5:00 p.m., NBTS’ Sage Library, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- December 2, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Pitcher Hill Community Church, North Syracuse, New York
- December 3, 3:00-6:00 p.m., Delmar Reformed Church, Delmar, New York
- December 9, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., New Hope Church, Fairview Park, Ohio
- December 9, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Pacific, Zoom meeting, Regional Synod of the Far West
- January 6, Texas (time and location TBD)* – Spanish/English bilingual event
- January 8, 8:00-10:00 p.m. Eastern, denomination-wide virtual meeting
- January 13, 2:00-5:00 p.m., Vida de Reino Iglesia Reformada, Sarasota, Florida (Spanish-language event)
*Events listed as “time and location TBD” will be updated here as details are available