In its annual meeting, the General Synod sets the direction and tone for denominational ministry. It has authority in all matters relating to denominational program and policy. It also has general responsibility over all lower assemblies (regional synods, classes, and consistories).
Reports to General Synod 2020
Although General Synod was postponed and will not take place in 2020 due to travel and gathering concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the reports submitted from ministry areas, councils, agencies, boards, and commissions are still valuable as they represent the work these bodies have done over the past year. Any requested actions of the General Synod contained in these reports will not be able to be acted upon this year, and they may be resubmitted in reports to the next session of the General Synod.
- GSC Response to Past General Synod Referrals
- Preliminary Statistical Summary for the Year Ending 12/31/2019
Racial and Ethnic Councils
- African American Black Council
- Council for Hispanic Ministries
- Council for Pacific and Asian American Ministries
Denominational Ministry Work
- Transformed & Transforming
- Global Mission
- Multiracial Future Freed from Racism
- Retired Ministers of Word and Sacrament
Because of the uncertainty surrounding whether or not General Synod 2020 would be able to take place, not all commissions submitted a report to General Synod 2020. Commissions that did not submit a report this year will be able to provide a report on their work in their report to the next session of General Synod.
- Commission on Christian Action
- Commission on Christian Unity
- Commission on Church Order
- Commission on History
- Commission on Judicial Business
- Commission on Nominations
- Commission on Race and Ethnicity
- Commission on Theology
- Commission for Women
- General Synod professorate
- Pastoral Formation Oversight Board
- Ministerial Formation Certification Agency
- New Brunswick Theological Seminary
- Western Theological Seminary
The General Synod—
The governing body of the RCA
General Synod membership is made up of minister and elder representatives from each classis and regional synod. In its annual meeting, the General Synod sets the direction and tone for denominational ministry. It has authority in all matters relating to denominational program and policy. It also has general responsibility over all lower assemblies (regional synods, classes, and consistories).