Superstorm Sandy: Resources & Updates
Thank you for helping people along the East Coast in the ongoing recovery from Hurricane Sandy. Disaster response experts estimate it will be three to five years before life returns to normal for many of these people.
RCA CARE Network has been engaged in Sandy recovery since the day the hurricane hit. Currently, they are focused on meeting the long-term needs of people who are recovering from the havoc wreaked by Sandy on Staten Island and along the NewJersey shore.
RCA CARE Network partners with long-term recovery organizations made up of local representatives of municipalities, churches, and disaster-response organizations, and helps these partners build their capacity to coordinate the use of federal, state, and private funds to effectively address people's long term needs. RCA CARE Network also supports the recruiting and coordination of thousands of volunteers who come to help rebuild and rehabilitate storm-damaged homes.
Read how a refugee turned into a relief coordinator following Sandy, and about the volunteers he's been working with.
More News and Information
Resources to Share
Please consider sharing with your congregation about the storm, and the response of RCWS.
- Download a (new) bulletin insert: PDF, DOC
- Copy and paste this announcement into your bulletin: Join the RCA CARE Network to respond to Superstorm Sandy, which has impacted millions of people. Visit www.rca.org/sandy to make a donation or to get the latest volunteer opportunities or news updates about impacted RCA congregations. Please pray for our brothers and sisters who have been affected.
- Download a hymn: As the Waters Rise Around Us (PDF) by John R. Kleinheksel Sr. and/or O Lord, Could You Not Stem the Surging Sea? (PDF) by Paul Janssen (please send email if you use)
- Financial support. "Money remains the most important," RCA CARE Network coordinator Jay Harsevoort says, pointing out that money can be transferred to impacted areas faster than items can be shipped, and it allows for a more nimble response at a time when needs are changing daily. Make a gift to RCA CARE Network Hurricane Relief below, or contact RCA CARE Network at (800) 968-3943, ext. 1878.
- Prayer. Please pray for churches that need to restock food pantries and for people who are homeless due to flooding and storm surge. Pray for people who are making plans to volunteer, and for the immediate efforts to assess damage to houses and other buildings.
- Volunteer. To sign up for a volunteer team through World Renew Disaster Response Services, contact Nancy Ellens (800-968-3943, ext. 1878, or email@example.com) or Becky Purdom (800-848-5818).
Donate by check or direct debit, or give as an organization. | Canadian Donations.